Premium general purpose
The most popular premium tier, all purpose, portable power technology.
Main applications: continuous high rate discharge, longer life applications such as wireless devices, portable audio and video devices, medical applications, motorised devices and smoke alarms.
Technical - Alkaline Manganese Dioxide - IEC Code LR
Alkaline batteries are the premium form of the must widely used chemistry – manganese/zinc. Generally lasting between 2 – 5 times longer than the cheaper zinc chloride and zinc carbon, the key features are:
- Primary, non-rechargeable
- Higher energy density than Zinc Carbon/Chloride technology
- Ability to operate at relatively high discharge rates
- Shelf life in excess of seven years
- Nominal voltage 1.5V
- Maximum open circuit voltage ranging from 1.65V
- Energy density 163 Wh/kg - 398 Wh/L
- Temperature range -20°C to 60
- Available in cylindrical (eg. AA), battery (e.g. 9V) and button formats.
|ANSI sizes||IEC||Other||Example Uses|
|AA||LR6||MN1500||Many: meters, pumps, security locks, remotes|
|AAA||LR03||MN2400||Pagers, penlights, remotes|
|D||LR20||MN1300||Torches, utility meters|
|9V||6LR61||MN1604||Smoke alarms, tens machines, transmitters|